Eco-conscious hoteliers, The Zetter Group have used energy-saving technology and eco-friendly materials wherever possible. This approach also includes water pumped from the hotel’s own 1500-foot bore-hole beneath the building which helps make the building self-sustaining.
Sustainability and environmental awareness were at the heart of the decision-making process when building The Zetter. As a result, it has been designed to be an energy efficient hotel, using sustainably sourced and environmentally sensitive building materials and controlled by an intelligent building management system. We also have a Green Team who meet once a month to make sure that we maintain standards, implement new initiatives.
Some of our eco friendly features and practices include:
- Our own borehole beneath the building: we also use it to flush loos and cool both our fridges and your bedrooms.
- An energy loop system: a bit technical, but basically it means we swap energy around – so as you heat your room, it helps us cool our fridges.
- Natural light and passive ventilation: this is provided by The Zetter’s central atrium and automated skylight.
- Occupancy detection systems in the bedrooms: so that when you aren’t there, minimal energy is burned.
- Also, when a bedroom window is opened the air conditioning has been designed to cut out – just like that!
- All the timber used in the building’s construction was bought from sustainable sources, and all the paints used in our interiors are environmentally-friendly.
- We recycle all glass and paper used by the hotel and its guests.
- Our bath and shower products have been chosen for its environmentally friendly packaging and the formulations, which contain no parabens, phthalates, petrol-derived ingredients, mineral oil, urea, DEA, TEA or propylene glycol.
- Suppliers packaging: We now insist that our food deliveries take all their packaging away with them or use fully recyclable packaging. If a supplier is using too much packaging, push them to do better or take packaging away with them.
- Supporting local: Wherever possible, we use or work with local or British brands. Everything in our rooms from blankets (Witney, Wallace Sewell) to toiletries (REN) are locally produced. Our kitchens also focus heavily on British or better still, local produce
- State of Mind: As employers we see one of our key roles as making sure our people are happy and helping them maintain a great state of mind. If we create an environment in which our team feel content and free of stress, everything else slots into place; that’s when the magic happens.
- Never stop: Don’t rest on your laurels. Keep questioning, can we do better? We thought we were pretty plastic free but have recently re-audited and found there are a few products we use/buy that could be replaced with a better alternative. i.e. Coasters
The Zetter is also a founder member of the Sustainable Restaurant Association which supports restaurants in their quest to purchase from sustainable and local suppliers as well as advising on waste reduction, energy efficiency and fair trade suppliers.
We are always open to new suggestions so if there is something that you think we should be doing please do let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.